It took an hour to get Hendrix to go to sleep-- you know, the I-can-hardly-keep-my-eyes-open-but-I'm-going-to-keep-playing-and-lauging nap struggle?! Yep, that was us, so this post feels even more relevant. But she's asleep and I plan on taking advantage. However, now I have to pee [insert laughing and crying emoji]...
There seem to be hundreds if not thousands of articles on the post-baby bounce back but can we please get some post-baby skincare and haircare love?! I can't find a woman who hasn't mentioned something about their skin and hair after having a baby; though not at all bad, most of us find ourselves in a perpetual state of transition post-baby, and as my sister astutely pointed out, you're forever postpartum. While I find myself incredibly grateful, I would be remiss if I didn't acknowledge the massive changes and transitions since having H. One of my most beloved rituals, my skincare regimen, has been cut in half by Raffi sing-a-longs, back rubs, evening stories and baby back rubs. George and I had the perfect evening routine 0-4 months and she suddenly demanded I fall asleep with her.
It took me awhile to adjust and recover from the lack of self-care, but little by little I've figured out ways to sneak in a few extra minutes. We brush our teeth as a family, which means I wash my face immediately after dinner and once I'm finished brushing, I apply my lip scrub. I apply a few spritzes of my toner and get Hendrix ready for bed. Once she's asleep, George and I spend some time chatting. I usually refer to it as our sleepover chit chat, because we are usually whispering and doing our best to stifle our laughter. Once everyone is asleep, I spend 5-10 minutes applying my serums, balms and creams. It's a peaceful way to end the day and ridiculously relaxing.
Before writing this post, I was hopeful my newfound role as a mother had helped simplify but no such luck, I still have 10 postpartum desert island beauty essentials:
1. KNC Lip Mask. I obsessed over these lip masks for months and love how soft my lips feel. I generally use them 2-3 times per week.
2. BITE Beauty Agave Lip Scrub. I love anything from BITE and the lip scrub is no exception.
3. BITE Beauty Agave Lip Balm. I use throughout the day and apply a thicker layer at night.
4. Oaui Treatment Mask. A great hair treatment after my blowout fades (AKA my curls return) without my hair feeling oily.
5. Odacite Radiance Effect Serum Concentrate. Odacite is a recent discovery and I'm in love! Two months later and zero complaints. My pregnancy glow is back without hard and dangerous chemicals.
6. Dr. Jart+ Dermaclear. My holy grail product that removes ever.single.trace of makeup without stripping the skin. This is a million times better than a makeup wipe.
7. Odacite Hydra-Repair Treatment Mist. My evening toner and my skin is literally glowing in the morning.
8. Odacite Hydra-Purifying Treatment Mist. My morning toner and my go-to for the days I wear makeup.
9. Odacite Clogged Pores Serum Concentrate. I've always struggled with blackheads on my nose and this is miraculously improving the texture and appearance.
10. St. Tropica Hot Oil Coconut Hair Mask. I apply this mask 1-2 times per week with a few drops of castor oil. Wash hair thoroughly to avoid any build up.
I would love to know some of your favorites because ten never feels like enough!